Tuesday, August 19 and Wednesday, August 20
Jeff Layher, 475-9106; Todd Whitaker, 517-596-9617; Rick Beeman,475-9264 Superintendents
RULES AND REGULATIONS (Strictly enforced)
Entry fee $25.00 includes driver and car. All other pit passes $10.00
**No entries after 6:30 PM on the evening of the derby**
1. Each and every driver is required to fill out an entry blank. Driver must have a valid driver’s license in possession for inspection when signing in day of exhibition. NO MINORS. Must be 18 years of age or older to drive.
2. Derby officials may accept or reject any and all entries.
3. All drivers must supply their own car and may enter one heat only unless otherwise informed at driver’s meeting.
4. All derby drivers, owners, mechanics, pit crew and wrecker drivers are required to sign a RELEASE AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY INDEMNITY AGREEMENT day of exhibition with pit gate sign-in official before entering race track and/or exhibition area or motorized pit area. Absolutely NO MINORS in the above specified locations.
5. Any driver and/or crew member disobeying the rules will cause his or her car to be disqualified.
6. Cars that ran in last year’s derby at the Chelsea Fair are allowed, all others must be fresh cars. No fresh car may be used for the feature event.
7. The winning DRIVER of the feature on Tuesday cannot run in ANY event on Wednesday night.
8. Eligibilities for feature event must be a heat winner and/or runner-up. Drivers may use any previous heat car in feature, providing said car passes inspection.
9. No car will be allowed on the track prior to the heat in which it is to participate.
10. Intoxicating beverages and drugs, or the use of such, are prohibited prior to or during the event.
11. Last two cars moving under their own power, making visible contact with another car, will be officially proclaimed the winner. Derby officials have the option of changing this at driver’s meeting. Feature Event: Winner and Runner-up, unless there is a tie.
12. Heat and feature winners will receive money plus trophies. Trophies: Heat winners and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places in the feature.
13. Any vehicles displaying obscenities will be disqualified; only commercial advertising and car number permitted. Driver’s door and passenger’s door must be painted white. This space is for car number only, no letters, symbols or fraction of numbers. NUMBERS MUST BE PAINTED WITH BLACK PAINT.
14. Car may be driven in one heat only and is not eligible to return in another heat.
15. MANDATORY: All vehicles entered must have title at time of entry, in order to participate in derby
JUDGE’S DISCRETION IS FINAL!
TIME LIMIT-If a driver does not hit a car within the time specified, announced by derby officials, or officials feel driver is deliberately sand bagging, driver and car will be disqualified.
INSPECTION – Derby officials reserve the right to inspect any and all cars entered in the Demolition contest at any time.
DISPOSAL OF CARS – All cars participating in the Derby must be removed from the fairgrounds by 12:00 o’clock midnight, day of exhibition, unless another time or extension is announced at Driver’s meeting.
1. Any front engine, hard top car or station wagon is allowed, with the exception of Chrysler Imperials, no trucks, compacts, jeeps, carryalls, etc. Cars must have like engine like chassis. Car is to be as near factory stock as possible. Stock transmission coolers allowed. No fans. No welded motor mounts. They may be chained.
2. Safety belts and approved safety helmets, long pants, long sleeve shirts, and closed toes shoes are required and must be worn by all drivers. Shoulder harness recommended. (If the driver has an injury requiring a cast anywhere on their body, they will not be allowed to run).
3. All glass including windshield, head lights, tail lights, mirrors, etc., must be removed. Car must be swept clean of all dirt and loose pieces. ALL THIS WORK must be done before entering the fairgrounds. All chrome and decorative ornaments, including all fiberglass, rubber and plastic must be removed from outside of car. Protruding fenders and/or taillight fins must be cut off or bent over.
4. A maximum of 3 gallons of gas will be permitted. Original gas tank must be removed from car and not used in any location. A boat type tank or equivalent thereof is to be placed in the middle of back seat area, not in trunk, in cradle securely fastened to car floor. The tank must be flat, no upright 5 gallon cans. Gas line or hose must be secure to nozzle of tank with hose clamp. A non-flammable firewall is required over tank. If car is originally factory equipped with electric fuel pump, a kill switch must be in driver’s compartment.
a. High pressure fuel hose MUST be used on all cars with fuel injection. Must have fuel injection hose, double clamped at both ends
b. Steel fuel line must be used instead of rubber fuel line through the firewall, with a MINIMUM length of 36”.
5. If there is a hole in the firewall, it must be covered with sheet metal. No filling the hole with carpet or seat material the day of the derby will be allowed.
6. Coil or leaf springs are permissible. If coils are changed to leafs, the following standard must be met: No chaining up or down any suspension, welding to any spring or spring support. Car springs only. Four factory stair step leafs, no inversion of leafs, one bolt on clamp equal to factory clamp front and rear. Factory workable shackles only. No struts on rear factory shocks. No stiff suspensions: All cars must have original give and bounce. The front mount on the rear spring, CANNOT be altered. If changed from coil to leaf springs, the front mount cannot extend beyond front factory arm mount.
7. Car cannot be tucked, must have access to trunk. Excessive body crimping NOT allowed. No frame alterations allowed. No doubling of body panels. No body seam welding.
8. If a distributor protector is used it cannot exceed 1” above distributor cap. No other engine bracing.
9. 2 safety straps (1/8” X 2” solid steel strap bolted or welded, one on each side) or a 3” diameter safety bar with a six inch flange on each side must be securely attached from bottom of windshield. Must be evenly spaced to prevent hood from coming inside car. They must be bolted below hood line. Safety bars are allowed from driver’s windshield post to passenger post and behind seat post to post.
10. Stock factory rubber body mounts in original position with original body bolts and factory inserts in place. No additional mounts or bolts are allowed.
11. Original bumpers must remain on car, in stock location. No special bumpers, trailer hitches, or reinforcements will be permitted. If bumper is missing, frame must be cut off at next body mount. Front and rear bumpers can only be looped 1 time. The CHAIN (min. 5/16” chain) must go through the hood and the trunk deck once on each side of the car. Bumpers may be welded. No “hard nosing” or “hard tailing.” Bumper corners may be pinned over but not welded.
12. All doors must be fastened shut by chain. Driver’s door reinforcement is MANDATORY. No cement, I beam or guard rail. The minimum reinforcement size is 3” wide, 3/8” thick and neither may not exceed 2” protruding from car. It MUST be bolted on each end with 3/8” or longer bolts and must extend 4” past door seams. YOU MUST HAVE 2 BRACES EVENLY SPACED ON DRIVER’S DOOR! Roll bars acceptable inside of car. All cars must have hoods over engine compartment.
a. Side doors may be welded shut, not to exceed above the bottom of door window, and not to exceed 1” past seems. Welding is allowed on vertical seams only, 1/8” max. Thick steel may be used.
13. Hoods and trunk lids may be held down with a maximum of 2 chains (5/16” min) that are no longer than 60”, chained in 2 spots – left front and right front. NO WIRE OF ANY KIND CAN BE USED TO SUPPORT THE CAR. A quick release type is required on trunk and hood in case of fire. The hood and trunk must be opened during inspection prior to event. Welding or banding straps on car hood and trunk are prohibited. This also applies to luggage compartment.
a. A hole must be in the hood. NOT to exceed 12” in diameter.
14. Batteries MUST be moved to FRONT passenger compartment inside car. They must be securely fastened to the car and must be covered with a suitable shield.
15. Radiator must remain in original position. Any vehicle leaking fuel will be eliminated. A visible fire results in disqualification.
a. No anti-freeze.
16. Car tires filled with air only. No implement or off road tires, no studded tires. Tires cannot be screwed to the rim. Wheel weights MUST be removed. No valve stem protectors.
17. Cars must have brakes prior to and during all heats.
18. No extra weights of any kind may be added to the car.
19. Drivers are to keep their cars in the boundary lines at all times. If a car is pushed, shoved or driven out of bounds and Derby Officials feel it is a hazard to spectators, car will be eliminated and disqualified immediately.
a. The Event will be stopped to pick up bumpers and axle shafts.
20. You must stay in your car. Do not leave your car unless you are told to do so by an official or the last car has stopped.
21. Additional safety regulations may be imposed at the time of the Derby due to track conditions.
22. All drivers must be signed in with Derby Officials one half hour before program starting time.
23. Any driver protesting another car must do so at driver’s meeting.
24. OFFICIALS DECISION FINAL!
DERBY OFFICIALS SHALL INSPECT CAR BEING PROTESTED WITH THE PERSON FILING PROTEST. DERBY OFFICIALS’ DECISION FINAL!
ATTENTION: THESE RULES AND REGULATIONS DO NOT IMPLY OR GUARANTEE SAFETY
The rules and/or regulations set forth herein are designed to provide for the orderly conduct of racing events and to establish minimum acceptable requirements for such events. These rules shall govern the condition of all events, and by participating in these events, all participants are deemed to have complied with these rules. NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM PUBLICATIONS OF OR COMPLIANCE WITH THESE RULES AND/OR REGULATIONS. They are intended as a guide for the conduct of the sport and are in no way a guarantee against injury or death to a participant, spectator or official.
The race director shall be empowered to permit minor deviation from any of the specifications herein or impose any further restrictions that in his opinion do not alter the minimum acceptable requirements. NO EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM SUCH ALTERATION OF SPECIFICATIONS. Any interpretation or deviation of these rules is left to the discretion of the officials. Their decision is final.
Chelsea Community Fair
Truck Derby 2013
Half ton, standard cab trucks, two wheel drive models only.
All trucks must have driver’s door painted white and numbers must appear on both sides. Special numbers will be allowed, subject to the approval of the officials. NO profanity will be allowed to be displayed on the truck.
All glass, side and rear windows, headlights , tail lights and windshields must be removed before reaching the track. Rolling down the window glass is not permitted.
All trucks must have approved seatbelts secured in original manner.
Four additional tie down points, in addition to stock bed mounts, must be “U” bolts. The “U” bolts cannot exceed ¾ inch in diameter with a minimum of 1/2 inch. May use 4 inch washer with threaded rod.
Metal grate must be fastened to rear window frame.
Complete removal of the interior is recommended. All trucks must be swept clean including the driver’s compartment and bed. No spare tires, broken glass or trash will be allowed.
Battery must be relocated to the front floorboard and securely fastened and covered.
All trucks must have radiator in stock position. If radiator is removed, you may run on water in the block only. No reserve tanks or coolers allowed.
Side doors must be welded shut, but cannot exceed bottom of window opening. Doors can also be chained, bolted, or wired but must be secured in one of these manners. Top of doors may not be folded and welded. If welding doors, drivers may NOT weld bottom of passenger door to rocker panel.
Driver’s door must be reinforced, have padding and be approved by officials. We suggest a bar running from A pillar to A pillar and A to B on the driver’s door. Absolutely NO reinforcement from B to B pillar.
The back of the cab may be welded or bolted to the bed. If bolted, must use 4 inch washer in 4 to 6 different places. No other reinforcing will be allowed.
NO OTHER WELDING ON FRAME OR BODY ALLOWED.
All body mounts must be factory stock and must have factory rubber.
Two bars evenly spaced, secured from cowl to roofline bolted or welded.
Stock gas tanks must be removed and replaced with an internal tank. A marine tank is required. Tank must be mounted in the front center of the bed and securely bolted in place. All tanks must have secure caps and must be covered with a splash shield. All lines and fittings must be leak proof and meet approval of officials. Fuel lines must be metal. Electric fuel pumps are permitted but must have a shutoff within reach of the driver. No tank larger than 6-gallon size permitted.
Bumpers must be a stock OEM bumper. Homemade bumpers are not allowed.
All hoods must have holes over the carburetor for fire extinguisher access, 12’’ hole or larger.
All holes in firewall must be covered with metal prior to entry.
Hoods, doors and tailgates may be tied down prior to entry. A maximum of 6 tie down spots on hood and tailgate will be allowed.
All frames must remain in OEM stock. Don’t add cable, wire or chain tensioning in or outside of frame. Any driver caught with an altered frame at check- in will not be allowed to enter that truck.
No stiff suspension; all trucks must have original give and bounce.
DO NOT WELD SUSPENSION COMPONENTS INCLUDING UPPER AND LOWER CONTROL ARMS, TIE RODS ETC.
Rear coil springs may be welded or clamped ie: early Chevy with factory coil springs.
Trucks must have the original type suspension; do not change leaf spring to coil springs, or coil springs to leaf.
DO NOT WELD LEAF SPRINGS.
YOU MAY NOT ADD LEAVES TO SPRING ASSEMBLIES. The number of spring leaves must be the same as the manufacturer originally delivered the stock, standard truck.
The suspension may not be modified in any way except as specifically noted in # 3 above.
Trailer hitches must be removed.
Frame must remain stock. Absolutely no fillers inside or added reinforcement outside frame. Do not weld frame seams. Repairs must be made to a broke or rusted frame and must meet approval of officials.
Engine, Transmission, Rear end Regulations:
Any engine or transmission may be used in any truck, but must be mounted in a stock position.
Chained, welded or homemade mounts are permitted and recommended. They must meet the approval of officials.
Exhaust is preferred to be upright out of hood.
Any type header is allowed but must be directed away from driver compartment and other competitors.
Radiators must stay in stock position.
Radiator overflow must be directed to the ground.
Any drive shaft or u joint may be used. Welding of drive shaft is permitted.
All trucks must have working brakes.
Only gasoline fuel may be used. No alcohol or other alternative fuels are allowed.
Only half ton, rear ends are permissible. No modifications may be made.
All tires and wheels must be pre-approved.
Light truck tires are permitted. No agricultural tires, foam filled, liquid filled or any tires larger than a 33 inch allowed.
No split rims. Wheel weights must be removed.
All wheels and rims must be stock. No welding or reinforcing allowed.
Valve stem protectors are allowed.
ALL TRUCKS ENTERED MUST HAVE TITLE TO RUN
All drivers must wear approved helmets, long pants, long sleeve shirts, closed toe shoes and eye protection. Drivers must also wear seat belts.
A mandatory drivers’ meeting will be held before the start of the show.
All trucks must be signed in at least 1 hour before posted starting time and must be inspected before the race.
All decisions of officials and flagmen are final.
If any questions, please call:
Grant Bollinger 734 368 3737
Derik Bollinger 734 260 2071
Jeff Cammet 734 368 0015
Keith Leisinger 734 368 7458
Chris Potocki 734 368 6259